Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Month Of Cookbooks - Day Twenty Six


The Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook

By Liz Gutman & Jen King

Published by Workman Publishing Company, October 2012


I have finally run out of words to describe a cookbook :-)
If you have any interest in or love of sweets/candy/chocolate, this would be a dream gift to receive!  

Living on the wrong side of The Pond, I had never before heard of this talented duo, nor had I seen their appearances on TV shows etc; the first I knew of them was when I saw the book advertised on the NetGalley website and I knew I just had to request a digital review copy.

It did not disappoint, that's for sure. With over 70 recipes for just about everything under the sun and ones you've probably never even thought of, there is something for all tastes and all cooking abilities in this entertaining, instructive and well written book which is profusely illustrated.

I loved the table which lays out all the recipes and allows you to instantly see which contain chocolate, gluten, dairy, fruit, nuts, alcohol, and which would be suitable for vegans  as well as showing which would be ideal for bake sales.

 I also was delighted to see that all the trouble-shooting information is included specifically for each chapter's recipes, so the reader does not have to rummage through the whole book looking for how to salvage a recipe which has not done what was expected of it.  The science behind the recipes is explained clearly, and also what happens when you substitute ingredients, for good or bad. I had no idea that very specific types of salt are recommended for different recipes, and for specific reasons, for instance. 

But what about the recipes?  
  • Peanut Brittle
  • Chai Latte Lollipops
  • Buttermints
  • Nougat
  • Fudge
  • Pralines
  • Maple Candy
  • Saltwater Taffy
  • Coconut Lime Bars
  • Chocolate Toffee Matzo Crunch
are just some of  tempting treats inside.

 Is this title going on my Amazon wishlist for a print copy?  It most certainly is!
Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: