Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Month Of Cookbooks - Day Thirteen

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook: A Useful and Improving Almanack of Information including Astonishing Recipes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld

By Terry Pratchett et al

Published by Corgi Books, 2001


I have to admit that I don't use this as a cookbook, I just read it and giggle. The recipes included are perfectly good ones, but the humour is in the names that quite ordinary foods are given to tie them in with the recipes mentioned in the Discworld books and in the quite extensive anecdotes and snippets of information which accompany all the recipes.

The Librarian (being an orang-utan) has an interesting take on bananas, and there is even a recipe for a Knuckle Sandwich - involving the purchase of pigs' trotters and not a miscreant's well-earned lesson at the hands of Sam Vimes. 

Half the book is devoted to Discworld etiquette, which is fascinating and this book is an essential adjunct to any serious student of Discworld. It certainly enhanced my education, that's for sure......
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Mat SIE said...

You are the only other person in the world I know who owns this cookbook! I think it is wonderful! I've tried a few of the less obscure recipes and they worked out great!