Friday, February 15, 2013

A Month Of Cookbooks - Day Fifteen

The Lavender Cookbook

By Sharon Shipley

Published by Running Press (USA) 2004


Just in case you all thought my cookbooks were too run of the mill, I thought you might be interested in this one!

I first became interested in the idea of using lavender when I was given some home-made shortbread cookies at a friend's house and challenged to guess the ingredient. I had one taste, and knew that I "knew" the flavour, but I simply could not identify it accurately.

Turns out the secret ingredient was indeed a hint of lavender, and the effect was sublime. The very next time I went to The Big City, I visited the herbal medicine shop and bought some organic lavender to use for culinary purposes until my own lavender was ready to harvest.  ( I would stress that unless you can be absolutely certain that your lavender - or the lavender you purchase or are given - has been grown without the use of pesticides, that you do not eat or drink it. )

Drinks, dipping sauces, breads, desserts, soups, salads, main courses - unusual recipes for all these categories are included. I could not eat lavender flavoured food regularly, but as an occasional treat, it is wonderful !
Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: