Monday, December 02, 2013

Adventures With The Wife In Space


Adventures With The Wife In Space

Living with Doctor Who

By Neil Perryman

Published by Faber & Faber, November 2013

The only Doctor Who story I clearly remember watching when I was young was "Horror at Fang Rock" in 1977, which frightened the living daylights out of me.

 It was utterly brilliant and I remember it vividly to this day, though I was never a serious fan of the show until it returned with Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor and my daughters were keen to watch it. They become total addicts and slowly, slowly, I was sucked into it too.

The prospect of reading a book about a Doctor Who fan - Neil Perryman - who managed to persuade his long suffering wife Sue that it would  be a good idea if they sat down together and watched as many of the classic Doctor Who episodes as they could, captured my imagination and I had such a brilliant time reading about their project that as soon as I finished the book, I read it again immediately and enjoyed it just as much the second time.

Sue not only ended up watching the TV shows but also some of the spin offs and reconstructed episodes, and she found their exploit was appearing on Neil's blog - complete with pod-casts - which documented her thoughts and reactions as she threw cushions and sat in disbelief, horror, enjoyment and hysterical laughter when watching the various episodes.  By the time the experiment ended, she had visited a convention and had even spoken to two of the real Doctors, as well as ending up with her very own fans.

Both Sue and Neil are Media Lecturers and it really added to my enjoyment to eavesdrop on their discussions of the technical side of producing Doctor Who as well as their thoughts on the story-lines, characterisations and scripts; Neil's knowledge of the genre in general is extensive and of Doctor Who in particular is almost encyclopaedic, and his enthusiasm is contagious.

This is definitely one of my Top Ten Best Books of 2013 and I have bought a copy for my daughters for Christmas :-)

Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: