365 Slow Cooker Suppers
By Stephanie O'Dea
Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
September 24th, 2013
This substantial book can give you a whole year of convenient, tasty and easy to prepare suppers using your crockpot/slowcooker.
One of the things which makes this book stand out head and shoulders above the rest is that gluten-free options are given for all recipes, making this an ideal book whether you have to cater for people who need a gluten free diet everyday or only for occasional visitors.
What is in it?
- There is a whole chapter of bean recipes, both vegetarian and meat based.
- A chapter for soups and stews.
- Meatless main dishes,
- Beef, lamb, pork and chicken recipes.
- A whole chapter devoted to making fillings for sandwiches, subs, wraps, quesadillas and lettuce wraps, including burgers, hot dogs, sloppy joes and pulled pork.
- A fish and seafood chapter with unusual recipes such as lemony balsamic honey salmon and a more familiar and homely tuna and noodle supper.
There are many vegetarian and some vegan dishes scattered throughout the book as well as in the meatless mains section.
I think possibly my favourite chapter is the one devoted to chicken recipes: honey mustard chicken, lemon chicken, mango chicken, parmesan crusted chicken, barbecue chicken thighs - all mouth-watering recipes with glorious photographs, as if you needed any further tempting to cook them. Never in a million years would I have thought of soaking chicken in a coffee , orange juice, peppercorns cloves and star anise brine before cooking, but it works, giving a really unusual taste which would certainly have guests wondering what all the ingredients are!
Whether you prefer highly spiced curries or more mellow and subtle flavours, there are recipes which can be adapted and used. I do particularly like the "verdict" notes describing what works or does not work, what picky eaters might like or dislike about a recipe, and how to tweak recipes accordingly.
Now she just needs to produce a companion 365 pudding book :-)