Monday, May 06, 2013

Hymns Of Home

Hymns Of Home

By Bill Bunn

Published by Biting Duck Press, March 2013


I'd never heard of Bill Bunn, who is wellknown in the US for his columns and essays published in magazines and papers, but the fact that he has three children and likes to write about the joys, trials and tribulations of parenting and daily living was enough for me to want to read his book.

I am so very glad that I did; this short book of  twenty-nine absolutely delightful essays  was a pleasure to read from start to finish. I read "Away From The Manger" out loud to my younger daughters, who were reduced to hysterical giggles at the journeys the plastic Baby Jesus made round Bill's house. I was reduced to hysterical giggles when I read "Santa Giveth, But Anti Claus Taketh Away " as the problem of disposing of the goods which find their way into the house is a perennial problem in our home too........

Despite the constant wry humour, there is much wisdom and humanity in these essays, touching on our responsibilities to our children, taking joy in the small things of nature as well as the  absurdities of our daily lives. Short enough to pick up and read in a spare few minutes but robust enough to spend a day mulling over the depths contained therein, this was a great book and I am delighted to have made Mr Bunn's acquaintance and hope he writes another book very soon.


Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: