Sunday, December 11, 2005

Coincidences

After Liturgy today, I was talking with Father and he showed me the new red cloth used at Communion.
Having admired it, Father said that the old cloth had met with an unfortunate accident.........Father hand washes the soiled cloth repeatedly in water, in a special container, and then reverently disposes of the rinsing water.
On this last occasion, he had placed the cloth in the tumble dryer, and it had become irrevocably covered in white lint fluff, so much so that a new cloth was needed.

Hence the one I admired toay, which actually was a very lovely large red linen napkin, which had come in pack of six, and as Father said, might well have been specifically designed for the use in church, so perfect was it.
"Of course", he said, with a twinkle in his eye, "I cut off the label before using it. You`ll never guess where it came from, by the way. It said Made in Turkey......."

As we are a Greek parish, I am sure you get the joke :-)

For my non-Orthodox readers, just think of the feelings of Spiro the fiercely patriotic Corfiot taxi-driver in Gerald Durrell`s immortal tale, My Family and Other Animals, LOL.
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Tee hee~