Yesterday was the Day of Concerts.
Abby`s Nativity play in the afternoon was so sweet. She was an angel (Ha ha!) and looked lovely. Positively angelic. And I knew it was too good to be true...............
She had fallen over in school and hurt her knee, and when she got bored in the play, she lifted up her dress to examine the injured cut knee in great detail, lifting her leg up so high that her foot was obscuring her face at one point, before kissing her "baddie knee" better !
Later on, she decided to see what would happen if she plucked some of the feathers from her costume and blow them up in the air...... it did make a very pretty although unscheduled special effect.
Needless to say, the costume was looking a bit threadbare by the time came to take it off !
I have taken photos, but I need my DH to come home from work tonight to upload them to the computer - I still can`t do it. I know, I should be ashamed, after having had the camera for a year, but I am a technophobe.
Helen`s "Nine lessons and Carols" concert went well, and she sang beautifully.
Three of the carols were "arranged" anew, and worked surprisngly well with honky-tonk piano effects......
The undoubted highlight of the concert was one carol, called simply "Mary`s Song" . It was a paraphrase of the Magnificat, and was absolutely exquisite, sung by a group of five of the older girls. It was sweet, simple, poignant and amzingly effective. I will ask Helen`s teacher if I can have the words.
The Baptist Minister`s Address was really rather good; he showed slides of photos of celebrities and of the teachers of when they were young children, and then of them as they are now, to show what they have grown up to be.
He then tied this in with the birth of Jesus, and how that was just the start of the Story, and that He grew up to lead an adult life . In that same way, as we celebrate Christmas, we need always to bear in mind the rest of the Story, as they form part of a whole.
I know I am being horrible and picky, and this is another one for my Confession list, but hearing the extempore prayers including "Lord, we just want to ....." does rankle and make me edgy.
What on earth is wrong with having a prepared,solemn, beautiful proper liturgical prayer to express the same sentiments succinctly and eloquently, rather than blathering on in appalling English ? That was the only part of the Concert which was ineffective and ugly.
And it was an unnecessary shame.
Other than that, it was a great day.
1 comment:
Bwahahaahahaha, I can just picture dear Abby during the concert! That is priceless.
I'm with you, extemporaneous prayers are "off" to me too!
The lessons sound wonderful too (minus the honky tonk piano, shudder!)
Post a Comment