I have read this wonderful book by Fr John Mack several times, and I gain more from it each time I read it.
This is particularly appropriate for me at the moment....
From Chapter 1
"The day that God is rude to me is the day that I can be rude to somebody else.
The day the God is unforgiving to me is the day that I may refuse to forgive someone else.
The day that God condemns me is the day that I may condemn someone else.
The day that God treats me the way I deserve to be treated is the day that I may treat someone else the way he or she deserves to be treated.
Until that time comes - and it never will come - then I am to treat others the exact same way that God has treated me.
If God has forgiven me, then I must forgive them.
If God has been kind to me , then I must be kind to them.
If God has lent to me, then I must lend to them, asking nothing in return.
Even as He has done that for you, then you must do it for your wife and your husband and your friends and your family.
"Be merciful, even as your Father in heaven is merciful"
End quote.
It brings a whole new perspective on Do unto others as you would have others do unto you., doesn`t it ? If we ask God to forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and yet we in fact fail to forgive others, what a dreadful condemnation and punishment we are calling down upon ourselves.
Sobering Thoughts indeed.....
No comments:
Post a Comment