I have just started reading Fr Seraphim Rose`s "The Soul After Death".
Fr John McCuen is quite right about it being challenging - not in the style in which it is written, but the content is amazing.
I have read the introduction and the first chapter, and I need "time out" to assimilate the enormity of what I have read. Although I just want to read on and on until I have finished, I am resisting the urge as it will not profit me to do so :-)
The "time out" consists of reading the life of the Eldress St Rachel of Borodino, Russia, who died in 1928. This is a wonderful book, titled "Consoler of Suffering Hearts" by Archpriest Sergei Lebedev and published by St Xenia Skete.
I am finding that reading the lives of Righteous ones shames me into being more attentive to my spiritual life, and I find such books very inspirational.
I am rapidly brought back down to earth by the antics of my two young ones, who cause mayhem in short order and remind me of my podvig in oh, so many ways and times every day !!!
This week is half-term holiday, and today has gone fairly well so far.
Blood spilt, 0
Accidents, 0
Episode of tears, 1
Tantrums, 1
Interruptions to Morning Prayers, 3
Expressions of delight at use of incense during Morning prayer , 3
Times Scooby Doo dvds watched , 3 (I know !)
Times Prince of Egypt dvd watched ,1 (this is both educational and Biblical so it doesn`t count as entertainment !)
Loads of washing processed, 2.
Nearly time for Prayers and bed, so I will wish you all goodnight :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment