Yesterday, Basil was officially declared a bad dog.
His crime ?
Unprovoked jumping up in the air before launching himself at speed to try to lick his unsuspecting victim`s face. As he is now six months old, of large build and physically quite imposing, it is no laughing matter, especially when he ignored all call backs by me in favour of greeting people very physically on the beach not just once, but twice in a very short space of time.
This is the first time he has wilfully ignored a callback ( I always reward him for obedience to callbacks), so he is now offically a BAD DOG.
The first couple he tried to lick to death were NOT impressed, and I don`t blame them; the second couple just laughed and said "Ah, he`s only a puppy!" - which of cours ehe is, but now he is developing a mind of his own, and I need to know he will be instantly obedient when he is loose in a public place.
Aaagh.
I will be booking him in with an obedience trainer forthwith, but have any of you got any ideas?
He is such a great dog, apart from this habit of jumping up to greet people.If it had been a child or a frail elderly person, he could have done them serious harm, and I have no intention of risking it.
1 comment:
Elizabeth,
I can sympathise with your situation. My corgi has up until recently been guilty of the same thing. She has calmed down somewhat, especially in regard to jumping in to laps and 'giving a bath' to people. However, she still jumps upon the legs of people to demand attention.
Like Basil, she is a sweet dog but has this and one other bad habit. We are slowly (emphasise slowly) working these out.
Sadly, as each dog is different, I hesitate to give much advice.
Brian
Post a Comment