Happy St David`s Day !
I sincerely hope the day is going to be better than its beginning !
DD3 woke me up at 5am to tell me it had been snowing. I grunted that I knew, as I had been up at 1.30am to take the puppy out into the garden for essential purposes.
I gave up trying to sleep due to her persistent incursions into my room, and got up at 6am.
I can share the excitement about snow, as this is the first time I can ever remember having snow on St David`s Day - before and after, but never on the Day itself ! We only had about an inch and a half, but snow nevertheless :-0
Fed dog, watered dog, took dog in garden. All the time I had DD3 dancing at my heels wanting to wear her Welsh costume.
They were both going to wear their Welsh costumes to school in lieu of uniform, as is our custom.
She went on and on and on and on till I thought my brains were going to ooze out of my ears.
I did try patiently to explain to her that it wasn`t a good idea, as she wanted to play in the snow before school and if the outfit got soaked with melting snow, I would not be able to dry it in time.
Eventually she conceeded defeat and went up to change into play clothes, making so much noise she woke DD4 up.
Sigh. I had been hoping for a little more peace.
DD4 got dressed straight away and was out in the garden, playing in the snow with the dog . DD3 continued to dawdle.
I was trying to tune into our local radio station and found it almost impossible to locate (hardly surprising when I normally listen to Radio 4). Then the girls rocketed back indooors, making so much noise I couldn`t hear which schools were closed due to the bad weather etc.
That was the point at which I started to fume, and it degenerated into farce from thereon in.......
DD4 was easily dressed in her Welsh costume, complete with artificial daffodil (because the florists always hike the prices up of daffs for St David`s Day).
DD3 promptly pitched a purple fit, claiming it was her daffodil. I knew it wasn`t, as I had taken it out of Abby`s costume bag myself...........
So the pair of them were screaming, crying and arguing and I was bellowing at the pair of them.
Out I went in the front garden, clutching the kitchen scissors, in search of a daffodil to cut for DD3. Did we have a single one ? Nada. Absolutamente nada.
Fume fume fume.
Last year we had loads.
The truly irritating thing is that last night, DD3 assured me she had checked her costume and she had ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that she needed. I should have checked it myself, and then we wouldn`t have had the chaos this morning. My own fault, I know.
On returning, DD3 starts crying that her costume is ruined without a daffodil, and DD4 announces she has wet her knickers. Upstairs to sort her out.
Downstairs to put my boots on, only to be greeted with DD4 saying she is wet again.
Now I start getting cross and shouting at people because we should have left the house five minutes ago.
There was only one thing I could do, go to the icon corner and plead for help.
She was eventually sorted, and we got out of the house. I stopped at the garage, where mercifully they were selling pretty artificial daffodils for charity. Bought one, gave it to DD3, only to have DD4 start crying because it was prettier than hers.
That was the point I seriously considered banging my own head hard against the nearest wall. Eventually, she agreed she did prefer her own because it was larger, even if the other one was a double-headed daffodil.........
That was when we all apologised and agreed we had all been horrible, and the rest of the journey was completed in peace and rather a lot of fun, trudging through the snow. There were very few cars braving the roads, as the council hadn`t bothered to send the gritting lorries out, despite having days notice of impending snow.
We were a bit late getting to school, but so was virtually everyone else who made it, as no-one was risking driving. The attendance was quite sparse, as a lot of people travel from the hilly parts of town.......
Since getting home, it has snowed more, but the sun is out again now.
Happy Days :-)
1 comment:
Happy St. David's Day!
Post a Comment