Welcome, David !
Here in Wales, St David`s Day is a *big* deal for pretty much everyone !
Many, many people will be seen wearing our national emblems, men most often wearing a small leek, women wearing a daffodil.
Many expatriates will be wearing the emblems, and I know of several friends who, when they were living in England, would cook special celebratory St David`s Day meals for family and friends , mostly Cawl (lamb broth), Braised leeks and Welsh cakes.
St David is the patron saint of Wales, and his memory is held in honour and affection by most Christians.
Information about his life can be found athttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints/message/2219 and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_David
1 comment:
Elizabeth,
I hope you had a very happy St. David's Day. Did you keep the whole Octave? You get to do that for a Patronal Feast.
I was in Wales in 1997. We drove from London to Haye on Wye (did I spell it right?), it's the little town with all the used book shops. Well, it took us longer to get there than we expected because we thought the distance was in kilometers, not miles. But the ride was worth it. I liked the whole ambiance. In America, you can't find bookshops operating from a castle.
I would love to go back to Wales, as well as England and France (where I went also during the same vacation) and check out more Orthodox sites.
Have a happy Lent!
Post a Comment