Last week, I had cause to take three of my offspring on a shopping trip to our nearest Metropolis. As I don`t drive, we took the bus to the nearest big town and then caught the train, which took about an hour from our door to the City.
I decided to buy a Family Railcard for the princely sum of £20 for the year, which entitles up to 4 adults and 4 children to travel together at discounted rates.
There is 1/3 off the adult fare and 60% off the fares of children over 5, with under-5s travelling free. Jolly good value, and it allowed the four of us to travel by train for only £6.00.
I had the happy thought that I could take the children out on some daytrips by train in the summer holidays when my husband is at work, but I don`t think I will now be taking them up to London, as I had originally planned, unless my husband comes too.
I haven`t been to the Metropolis for over a year, and it was strange to see once familiar shops now standing empty. I couldn`t believe that there are now four Starbucks in a fairly small area. It all certainly looked cleaner and more prosperous than the last time I went there.
We had a good day out, and it was fun to travel by train. Even better, I amnaged to get hold of a copy of a book called St Benedict`s Toolbox, which I have been looking for :-))
I was utterly unsuccessful in my quest to get a Bible with Apocrypha in traditional liturgical English, so I will have to settle for getting one from Amazon. I do much prefer being able to see the typeface and layout/design before I buy, though :-(
Despite all that, a very happy St Benedict`s Day to you all !
2 comments:
If you're still looking for that complete Bible in liturgical English, I got my marvellous Authorised Version through Amazon: here's a link. (It's their US site - hope you can use it!)
Thank you for the link ! I have ordered "hard to find" books from Amazon.com before, and they always get here to UK quickly.
Post a Comment