The house renovations continue apace, but today we had a miracle.
DH said this morning he was concerned about the landing ceiling, as there were several hairline cracks and he didn`t feel it was safe.
We had to go shopping this morning, firstly to the DIY store to buy more filler for sealing gaps/cracks in walls and then to buy more trousers for DD3 and 4 who are busy growing like bamboo plants :-0, so we stopped at the Big M to have a big late breakfast as a treat for all of us before DH goes back to work tomorrow after three whole weeks .
Over food, DH and I discussed what to do about the dreaded ceiling. Reluctantly we decided we would have to pull the whole ceiling down and get a plasterer in to re-fit it, which will be a dreadful and messy job.
When we got home, DD1 was in the shower upstairs,and DH was pottering around. D4 just set foot in the hallway when there was a thunderous crash, and I raced out to find the poor mite standing stock still, surrounded by clouds of dust and lumps of solid cement and plaster board still raining around her...... I saw one large lump literally miss her by an inch. If she had moved a fraction, she would have been brained.
Glory to God, she was shaken but unharmed. Her patron saint and guardian angel were working overtime............
DH popped his head out and asked what the noise was, and when he saw the gaping hole in the ceiling, he shook his head and simply said " See, I knew it wasn`t safe."
So guess what we will be doing next ? Hiring a skip and ripping down the rest of the ceiling and preparing for a new one.
Much as we love this house, it is turning into a bottomless pit as far as money and jobs which need doing.
Did I mention the rising damp and the defective damp-proof course which needs replacing as well?
The joys of living in an old house, I suppose.
1 comment:
I am still feeling a bit sick at the injuries our little one may have sustained if not for God`s grace.
I can not believe that so much rubble escaped from the landing ceiling , down the stairwell and railings into the hall below, where the little one was standing.
Frightening !
Still, the house will be lovely when it is finished...if it ever is ! LOL
Post a Comment