Wednesday, August 11, 2004

The curtain opens....

Or for those of a pedantic yet accurate turn of mind, the blind rolls up :-)
My blog is called The Garden Window for the simple reason that my computer desk is in front of the window which overlooks our little courtyard garden.

This is probably my second favourite spot in the house.........my family all swear that it is my favourite simply because I am at the computer, but I spend a lot of time just sitting looking out of the window at the sky, the clouds, passing birds, our plum tree and all the plants in the garden.
Being brutally honest, at the moment I can see a lot of white clouds, the cat`s feeding bowl, daughter number 3`s scooter lain on the path and daughter number 4`s underwear. Sigh. It is that time in my life again when I am toilet-training a two year old. youngest child is currently and affectionately known as "Puddles -R- Us" for obvious reasons. Said underwear has undoubtedly been discarded because it has become damp, so I will go to investigate and mop up.

Aaah, peace and domestic harmony returns.
The joys of playing in a chilly garden (with black clouds looming ) have worn off, and the youngest ones are in the warm house. Daughters 3 and 4 are curled up on the settee, watching the complete series 1 and 2 of Scooby-Doo - yup, the original cartoon series from my own youth, digitally remastered no doubt, and burnt onto DVD for our delectation and purchased from the blessed EBay web site.
I can hear vague sounds upstairs, indicating that eldest daughter is emerging from sleep, which is pretty good considering it is only 09.44 am. Young ones and I have been up since 06.00am, on the other hand ! To be absolutely fair, Daughter 1 is a night-owl, happily staying up till 2 or 3 am, whereas I am desperate for my bed by 10 pm. We do spend the same number of hours awake, just not at the same times, LOL.
As normal, I have strayed from the subject :-)
My favourite place in the house is the icon corner in the dining room. I am an Orthodox Christian (in a parish of the Greek Orthodox Church`s diocese of Thyateira and Great Britain, in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch) and the icon corner is where I say my prayers, a reminder of the ever constant presence of God, and a prompt to say a prayer, however brief, as I pass through the room . It also sometimes stands as a reproach, a silent rebuke and warning to my guilty conscience that now is the time for repentance, a metanoia, a turning around from my sinful ways which cause God sadness, and to those around me, grief from the hurt I intentionally or unintentionally do to them by my words and deeds.
Living in the icon corner are icons of Christ the Ruler, the Tikhvin Mother of God, St David of Wales, St Tatiana of Rome, St Nicholas of Myra, Sts Helen and Constantine, St Michael the Archangel, St John of Kronstadt, St Herman of Alaska, Great Martyr St Barbara, St Elizabeth and St Barbara the New Russian Martyrs, St Jospeh of Arimathea, St John Chrysostom, St Spyridon of Corfu, St Seraphim of Sarov, St George and St Demetrius. I am eagerly waiting for the delivery of an icon of dear St Xenia of St Petersburg - patience has *never* been one of my strong points !!
Anyway, domestic duties call, and I will return later ;-)
Elizabeth

Share with friends using the share button below.

4 comments:

Louise said...

Hi Mama! I think it's really neat that you've got a blog. I must update mine more often. Actually, just updating at all would be good. But anyway.

I really like the blog name. It's very pretty. :)

I enjoyed reading this, and I hope you update it more often than I update mine! Mind you, that's probably not difficult...

Catch you later!

Her Royal Hamsterness, the DoomHamster formally known as Louise. :D

PS: Oh, be fair. I only stay up till 12.50am these days. I think I'm getting old...

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Thank you, dear daughter 1 for your kind comments :-)

And thank you Philippa for visiting my blog ! How did you find me ?
I`ve only posted the address on David Holford`s blog and Morning Coffee.......you are *very* quick off the starting line :-)
Elizabeth

Steve Robinson said...

My computer looks into a brick wall in my basement.
hmmmmm... is that a metaphor for my life???? :)
Welcome to the blog-addiction!
s-p

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

but, s-p, bricks are part of the basis of a good foundation for the rest of the house. Solid, stable and reliable sounds like a good way to build a house or a life :-) Perhaps the metaphor is more apt than you think !