To stave off cries of boredom from the seven year old, I took the girls to town this morning to visit the Library and sign up for the summer reading scheme, The Reading Voyage.
Each child gets a fold up chart and when library books are returned, the child is given different sets of stickers each week to decorate the chart.
Simple, fun and effective. They even have to "rate" the books they have read.
This is the third year DD3 has done the scheme, and is looking forward to this year too.
We also visited one of the local charity shops, where they sell cheap small toys (20p each) and books. Today, we bought four small toys, and as books were only 10p each, we came home with eight.
Child heaven in our house :-)
I was specifically looking for a KJV/RSV Bible, preferably with Apocrypha. Times were when bibles in charity shops were ten a penny, but I was surprised only to find one battered RSV version and no less than ten copies of the New English Bible. Maybe people are hanging onto their KJV for grim death, now it is getting more difficult to find any half-way decent translation which does not contain "revisions", sanitisations ,deletions and gender inclusive language......
We missed the bus home, so we walked home . It is a 40 minute walk each way, so Abby was quite glad to collapse into her ancient pushchair about halfway home. She even fell asleep, and I was just congratulating myself on a successful morning when Metal Fatigue happened ........the long-suffering pushchair gave up the ghost and disintegrated.
Luckily we were only about 100 yards from home, or I would have been carrying a heavy sleeping toddler - or even worse, a tired and grumpy rudely-awakened toddler ! the rest of the way home.
Even better, I now have good reason to get rid of the pushchair and explain to Abby that it is broken. She does not accept that she really is getting too big/old for the pushchair !
1 comment:
Hi Elizabeth, I am (to mash the lyrics of Sting) "an englishman in Cincinnati" - I've noticed,when in England, that the Bible selection in most English bookshops is rather bleak.
There is a very good Christian bookshop in London that has a fairly good choice - Wesley Owen
Address: 3-9 Wigmore Street, London, W1U 1AD Phone: 020 7493 1851.
There is a complete Orthodox Bible in progress that should be released next year...along the lines of the excellent NKJV Orthodox Study Bible.
I can also recommend the Third Millenium Bible (which includes the Apocrypha and an updated ASV) and Cambridge Press has a very nice NRSV Bible complete with Apocrypha. Try Amazon.com-UK, they sell used books now also.
God Bless.
Martin in Cincinnati, OH. USA
Post a Comment