Saturday, August 27, 2005

EBay Update

Regular readers may remember the problems I was getting with one seller.
"Input Appreciated" on July 4th in the Archive tells the whole story :-)

The book did eventually arrive, so I emailed the seller to tell her, and to ask her to send me a Paypal invoice for the cost of the book plus half the original airmail cost, as we agreed , so I could pay her immediately.

She replied by saying that she didn`t feel it was fair. (We had both agreed this amount, remember !)

She said she was going to be out of pocket, as she had paid for the airmail postage and then the surface mail postage of the same item, and then PayPal had refunded all my money (even though it was because she had broken the terms of the agreement and I had not received my book airmail within 28 days as per Ebay rules).

I give up.
I had waited 15 weeks for a book I should have received in less than 2 weeks, with non-stop excuses, prevarications, and whingeing from the seller. I *had* paid in advance immediately, until she failed to deliver it and PayPal and EBay auhorities became involved and refunded my money.
I emailed her immediately and said that we had agreed this amount (luckily I had kept all my emails as proof) and if she was not happy with it, I would return the book.

I waited a few days, did not hear from her, so I marched to my local post office and paid to send the book back to her the way it had come to me...the cheapest possible surface mail. So she will get it in about 15 weeks, I suppose, and she is now out of pocket by the full airmail cost and the surface mail cost, because of greed and reneging on an agreement.
She has since had a string of complaints lodged against her in her Ebay feedback, by other people.

This is the only time I have had problems or unpleasantness buying from Ebay, and it makes me feel really sad.

I don`t feel very happy having done it, but I don`t see that I had much choice in the matter. Not to mention the fact that everytime I looked at the book on my shelf, and I remembered the seemingly endless hassle that buying the wretched book gave me :-(
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Huw Richardson said...

You sound like me in my dealings with a certain Orthodox recording company. Even though they gave me permission to keep the files before I returned the disks, I only kept the lectures I wanted...

and I can't bring my self to listen to them because I can do is think about how much hassle I went through trying to get a decent recording out of them.

I know I could delete them... but I feel I went through enough trouble to get them in the first place.