Tuesday, March 13, 2007

St Spiridon

If you have ever read the glorious Gerald Durrell book "My family and other animals" detailing his childhood in Corfu in the early 1930s, you will be familiar with the episode when they inadvertently venerate the relics of St Spiridon.

Imagine then, my surprise, when browsing EBay today to find this replica of the saint`s shrine, made for the recent BBC TV series at Shepperton studios .........

Scroll down on this site to see a photo of the real reliquary in procession :-)

Holy St Spiridon, pray for us !
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I've not read that, but it sounds interesting.

There is a St. Spiridon's in the big city near us, and I've had the pleasure of venerating a relic of his shoes.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Wow, Mimi, to have venerated his slippers ! I am envious in the nicest possible way :-)

I would strongly recommend the Gerald Durrell book - it is delightful.