Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hospital News

Yesterday, I had an appointment at the local hospital to see a Rheumatologist.
I have had problems for nearly ten years, and was initially told I had Rheumatoid Arthritis, which runs in my family anyway.

Interestingly, none of the expected joint malformations occurred, so I felt it was time for reassessment, and my GP agreed.

It has taken almost two years of appointments, blood tests, X rays, more blood tests and numerous appointments deferred for months on end by the hospital, but yesterday, it was decided by the Consultant Rheumatoloigist that I don`t actually have RA at all, and as I have suspected and voiced my opinion over the last three years, I do instead have fibromyalgia, and that I should have been on amytriptaline since the beginning.

I don`t know whether to laugh at the farcical nature of it all, or cry because I have spent nearly ten years of my life in constant pain and with disturbed sleep, and without having had the medication that could have made my life a lot more pleasant.

At least now I have an accurate diagnosis, and am awaiting the medication. Hopefully things will start to improve, but I have been told it is unlikely that things will resolve enough for me to go back to work.
Ho hum.
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Congratulations on the accurate diagnosis. I'm sorry it took so long.

Alana at Morning Coffee has Fibro, she I'm sure would be a great resource.