A few nights ago, Abby said "Mummy, say the hedgehog song" as we were getting ready for bed.
To say I was a little bemused was an understatement.
Hedgehog Song ?
What Hedgehog song ?
I have *never* knowingly sung a hedgehog based song to my children.
When I asked her to tell me how it went, it transpires that although she knows and can sing all the words for "Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy and Immortal, have mercy upon us", which we say at prayers, she calls it the Hedgehog Song.
Ah. Revelation.
So our nightly prayers now always include the formal request for the Hedgehog Song :-)
I`m just waiting for her to say delightedly in the middle of Liturgy, "oooh, it`s the Hedgehog Song !" . Perhaps I should teach her it in Greek instead , LOL.
She is now incorporating the names of her special friends at school as well as family,godparents and our Priest and Presbytera in her prayers, which is lovely.
Last night we had special mentions for Ethan, Ieuan, Sophie, Emily and Megan, as well as her teacher.
BTW, Another Orthodox Abigail is learning ritual and prayer, in the Holford household, as described beautifully by Dave here .
3 comments:
Kids are great!
Is there a reason that she calls this prayer the Hedgehog song?
Speaking of hedgehogs... how is the hedgehog that you found months ago doing?
As far as we can tell the hedgehog is alive and well. Should be hibernating fairly soon.
About the hedgehog song....I think it relates to Abby`s frequent ear infections when she was very young, as the speech therapist warned us that it would have severely affected the way she processed the sounds she was hearing at the time. What she was hearing muffled during repeated infections and recoveries is what her brain has learnt, and now that she is talking, the early words and sounds she heard, however garbled, are what she repeats back in the same garbled way. I imagine that "hedgehog" was what she was hearing when I was actually singing "Holy God" ! It will take quite a while for her to re-learn the garbled sounds in a proper way.
The Hedgehog song! How sweet is that?
I remember once my son saying he liked the "Endurance" song, it turned out to be "For his mercy endureth forever Alleluia" from Matins.
Post a Comment