Friday, October 18, 2019
Mending Fences
Mending Fences
By Suzanne Woods Fisher
Published by Revell, 2019
Book 1 in "The Deacon's Family" series
I was asked to review the second in this series, and realised that somehow, I had missed the publication of the first book. I quickly purchased this and settled down to read. Oh boy, was I in for a treat!
Luke Schrock was a ne'er-do-well of the first water. Handsome and arrogant, he was always up for a good time and a laugh, no matter the consequences to those who had to bear the brunt of his antics in their small Amish community at Stoney Ridge. He'd ended up in a rehab facility several times due to his alcohol addiction, but his Bishop had never given up on him and even managed to find a family who would take him in at Stoney Ridge once his time at rehab was up.
Amos Lapp is the community's Deacon; he and his wife Fern have already given a safe and loving home to Izzy Miller, a young woman whose own life has been marred with anguish and pain. Although in the past Luke has caused them trouble, they are willing to let him stay with them at Windmill Farm, but with natural reservations, especially with regard to Izzy's wellbeing.
Bishop David makes it plain that nobody will tolerate any nonsense from Luke under any circumstances. Furthermore, Luke is confronted with an extensive list of local people whom he has wronged, is told point-blank that he must apologize to absolutely everybody on that list and also ask them in what way his actions have affected them....
Has Luke really changed? Will he ever be able to convince his family and community that he has changed not only his lifestyle but his heart and attitudes?
I would never have thought that a wholesome Amish version of the premise of "My Name Is Earl" would work, but it does, and brilliantly so.
I read the book cover to cover twice in quick succession and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is filled with thoughtful humour and a great deal of low-key but powerful spiritual teaching as we watch Luke grow and develop into a decent, kind young man with much to offer his community.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment