Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A Plethora of Churches

Just out of curiosity, I added up how many places of worship there are in our town, that I can easily recall.
Bear in mind our little town has a population of 18,000.........

RC Church
RC convent chapel/prayer centre

3 Churches in our Church in Wales parish (Episcopalian/Anglican)
A combined Methodist/United Reformed church
An English speaking Baptist church and its subsidiary mission chapel (counts as two !)
Calvinistic Methodist church
2 different Welsh speaking Presbyterian chapels
A combined General Baptist and Unitarian chapel
Another Welsh-speaking chapel whose sign I cannot translate.
2 different English speaking Gospel Chapels
A miscellaneous Community Church whose worship is Baptist/Pentecostal with drums, according to their flyers posted around town.
The Spiritualist church.

I make that a total of 17 places of worship for Christians to choose from.

And for the Quasi-christians, there is a Mormon temple about 5 miles away too.

I am deliberately ommitting references to decidedly non-Christian sects.

You can see why people think I am a tad eccentric to travel 40 miles each way to go to Divine Liturgy........

There are two whole Orthodox households including my own, and we don`t get to have our own public church, though our combined worship figures are probably as numerous as some of the smaller chapels !

Personally, and rather selfishly, I admit, I would like to see **two** Orthodox churches in our town - one Eastern Rite and the other Western-Rite. What more could an Orthodox woman ask for ?

So what places of worship do you have in your towns, friends ?
Share with friends using the share button below.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

That's an interesting list. I didn't realize that there were parishes that worshipped in Welsh. Very cool.

Jacob Hicks said...

We have the Anglicans (parish church and daughter church), a Methodist chapel, a Baptist chapel, an ex-Baptist community, an ex-ex-Baptist community, an RC church, an Anglican convent, and the chapel of one of the convent's houses.

The ex-Baptists (or was it the ex-ex-Baptists?) used to hire our daughter church. Their being known as 'The Christian Church' meant that the Anglicans left at 10.30, and the Christians arrived at 11.

see-through faith said...

interesting. Our city is 160 000
most are Lutherans here

there's also
*RC
*Orthodox (Russian)
*Methodist (Swedish and Finnish)
*Baptist
*Free church (Swedish and Finnish)
*Pentecostal and Kotikirkko (a church plant)
*Salvation Army
*Anglican (meets once a month) other Sundays it's a lutheran service
*city church
*word of life

and a whole lot more that I've never heard of I think :)

there's also
Seventh Day Adventists
Mormoms
JWs (three halls)

and other faiths include
a small Jewish congregation - synagogue
and a growing number of muslims with no mosque as yet
and a few buddists (no temple)

In Finland about 90% of the population officially belong to the Lutheran church

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I missed one out !
There is an Anglican mission chapel on the enormous caravan site in our town, which only has services on Sundays in july and august, but it is still a place of worship in my book :-)
I only recalled when we went out for along walk this morning and happened to walk past it:-)