Sunday, March 13, 2005

Modern Anglicanism

I have just read an interesting article in the UK Sunday Times, available online at
Church, Our Sunday Secret

It made sobering reading, and reminded me once again of why I had left Anglicanism myself 13 years ago.

The writer comments thus:-
"The Church of England has divided into extreme camps; overhead-projecting evangelicals, queenie high Anglicans, and the rest. I can quite understand why they exert such appeal, because they demand dedication and commitment. It’s the wishy-washy centre, nonetheless, that represents the true spirit of the C of E: broad, inclusive and never too doctrinaire. "

The comment about the divide is unfortunately all too true, but it all stems from the desire of the C of E to be all things to all men.....

I started reading Orthodox theology at age 13 (Thanks for the loan of the books, Fr John !! May God bless you !) My beliefs were completely Orthodox, I remained steadfastly mute whilst the rest of the congregation said the "filioque" during the Nicene Creed, and I was physically worshipping with priests whose beliefs varied from extremely fundamentalist to pre- Vatican 2 Roman Catholic . Yet we were all Anglicans.

In other words, hey, you can believe whatever you like and that`s OK with us. This is how the C of E has had Bishops who do not even believe in the Resurrection of Christ, and have stated so publicly.
When you have leadership like this, pity help the followers.
Eventually , after 14 years , I gave up on the Church of England when they started to ordain women priests, and I became Orthodox.

Quote :
"Well, quite. When Damian tried pressing me on what it is I actually believe, I felt uncomfortable. Sure I must have some kind of faith or I wouldn’t say my prayers or be able to take communion. Further than that, though, I prefer not to analyse, which is another thing I like about the C of E: it allows you to appreciate the numinous while never quite having to lose your grip on the rational.
In this, Anglicanism remains the perfect religion for the British — or the English, as we once used to call ourselves. It appeals to our instinctive scepticism of enthusiasm. It’s a nicely balanced combination of reason, tradition and scripture. It gives a shape and purpose to our lives, while never threatening to overwhelm them. It’s religion with most of the difficult bits taken out. "
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But surely, if you take the difficult bits out, you lose the very point and essence !
If religion does not affect and change your life for the better, driving you onwards in the pursuit of theosis, you have not only lost the plot, but you find yourself in the wrong theatre, on the wrong stage with the wrong script, playing to an empty auditorium, with no applause when you struggle and get things right, and no catcalls or shouts of "Boo, get off the stage !" when you mess up......rather a pointless exercise, in fact.

Just think of the enthusiasm and devotion of the early Christians and of the Saints.
Just think of those who endured martyrdom for their steadfast belief in Christ !

If we complain about giving God say, oooh, all of 90 minutes of our time in Church each week, why bother going at all.........
Surely we should be giving God our whole lives, to do with as He sees fit ?

If we don`t love Christ enough to allow and indeed want Him to change and transform our lives, are we Christians ?
Who on earth would allow themselves to be martyred for a watered-down faith ?

Just for the record, I do not mean to be in any way critical of the author of the Sunday Times article. He is undoubtedly a good man trying to do his best for his children.
One of my favourite cartoons shows a Judge about to pass sentence on a prisoner, with the caption " If you were accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you ?"
I ma ashamed to say that in my case, the answer would undoubtedly be No.

I am Orthodox, but I fail miserably many times a day to display my Christianity or even to *begin* to allow God to change my comfortable life. Even after 13 years, I have barely truly dipped my toe in the great and blessed sea of living an Orthodox life.
Please God, I will try harder this Great Lent to live my life as a Christian should live.
Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: