Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Life in the Third Reich






Life in the Third Reich: Daily Life in Nazi Germany 1933-45
By Paul Roland
Arcturus Publishing 2015 (2016 in UK)


This is a reasonably good illustrated introduction to what life was like in Nazi Germany, but it does only skip across the surface of the topic. My daughter is studying Nazi Germany at A level and is able to go into much, much greater detail than this book, which does then beg the question as to its intended audience. I think it would work well as an introduction for younger schoolchildren just starting to study Nazi Germany for GCSE, but any adult with an interest in history would probably be aware of  a lot of the content anyway.

I would have liked to have seen much greater use of contemporaneous or immediately post-war source material  and less stress placed  on websites as potential resources, but that means I am probably showing my age :-)
Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: