Sunday, January 31, 2016

Chickpeas







Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert
By Einat Mazor
Published by Charlesbridge/Imagine, Feb 2nd, 2016


Exactly as it says on the cover, this is a recipe book to gladden the heart of anyone who loves chickpeas and is looking for something a little more adventurous than Hummus yet again!

The majority of recipes are Vegetarian-friendly and a significant number are also Vegan-friendly and Gluten-Free, making this an ideal cookbook for people looking to reduce their meat and dairy content for medical reasons or religious fasting or due to gluten intolerance.

There are hummus recipes, of course, but with a twist - I was particularly taken with the beetroot flavoured one - and recipes are taken from a myriad of Mediterranean cultures as well as Indian sub-continent recipes, and some have a Japanese influence too.

Whether you are looking for soups, casseroles, burgers, main courses, salads, cakes or desserts, this little book is brilliant.


Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

Susie Hemingway said...

I love chickpeas and add them to a lot of dishes especially rice and cous cous but I am sometimes disappointed in the quality of those we get here in the UK. When living in the UAE and Egypt I would soak the peas overnight and they were always of good quality and would soften well after cooking for a reasonable time. Even the ones brought in tins there are so much better than here, larger and softer, the ones here are so often ' bullet like' I believe chickpeas are very good for you. I continue my search for really good chickpeas and so far Waitrose and M&S seem the best Thank you for reviewing this book I think I must treat myself to it, so good to have some new ideas when you have a few vegetarian friends that must never be left without. Thank you.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Hi Susie,
Did you try the dried or tinned chickpeas from Waitrose and M&S? I've only tried Tesco and the tinned were okay but not spectacular....