Thursday, January 01, 2015

Growing Up Amish



Growing Up Amish:  A Memoir
By Ira Wagler
Published by Tyndale House, 2011


Growing Up Amish is a bit of a misnomer.
Having finished it today, the one thing that seems very obvious to me is that the author didn’t do very much “growing up” when he was living Amish; most of his growing up seems to have occurred long after he finally (after many short-lived periods living away) and completely left both the Amish faith and Amish way of life behind him.

 Ira Wagler acknowledges many times that he did not behave well towards many people, especially his poor fiancee, but I still do not truly get the sense that at that particular time in his life he ever put the needs  of anyone except himself first and foremost.  

Reading this book was fascinating and absorbing, but I also read with an inexorable sense of impending train-wrecks of relationships and friendships. He always wanted more than his community, way of life or family could give him, hence his painful and difficult attempts to walk away from his loved ones.

It was in many ways a profoundly sad book which has left me feeling very thoughtful about my own friendships and relationships on this New Year’s Day of 2015. Most of my books I will read multiple times, but I don’t think I will be reading this one again because it made me feel so desperately sad.
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Teena in Toronto said...

I finished this book today ... it was good!

http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2015/01/book-growing-up-amish-2012-ira-wagler.html