Thursday, October 09, 2014

Behind The Scenes At The Museum Of Baked Beans


Behind The Scenes At The Museum Of Baked Beans

By Hunter Davies

Published by Virgin Books, 2010


I have absolutely no idea how on earth I managed to miss the release of this book in 2010 as it is exactly the type of quirky and slightly obscure book which I would enjoy.

Hunter Davies is himself a collector and at the back of his mind had been the niggling thought that perhaps he should start his own museum in order to display his collected items.
It seemed an eminently logical step to go round Britain looking at the most unusual museums he could find, to find out what made their founders start to collect and then open the collections to the public, how they function and what makes them tick....

When I looked at the contents, I did wonder if there were going to be large swathes of the book I would end up skipping as I wasn't particularly interested  in money, lawnmowers or vintage wirelesses. At least I thought I wasn't interested, until I started to read those chapters and found them just as enjoyable as the ones about the fan museum, the Witney Teddy bear museum, the Old Operating Theatre and the Baked Bean museum.

All told, he visited 18 museums and interviewed their founders or those who currently run them; not all were financially successful or even viable now, but all have a human interest story as well as the story of the collectable items they display.  So did Hunter Davies decide to go ahead and set up his own museum? No, but other museums are - or will be - the recipients of his own collections for posterity.

Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: