Friday, February 21, 2014

Groundbreaking Food Gardens


Groundbreaking Food Gardens:

73 Plans That Will Change the Way You Grow Your Garden

By Niki Jabbour

To be published by Storey Publishing, March 5th, 2014.


There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is the most versatile, user-friendly, practical and absolutely gorgeous food growing manual I have ever seen!

Niki Jabbour has worked in close collaboration  with gardeners, all expert in their own fields, from all over America, Canada and even the UK and Germany, and this delightful volume is the result.  

No matter how big or small your garden, even if you only have access to a patio or a windowbox, you CAN grow some of your own food.  Whether your garden is shady, cold, windswept, shared with livestock or chickens, subject to extremes of temperature or short growing seasons, this is the book you need. Are you a chili aficionado? There is a garden plan which will enable you to grow no fewer than 24 different varieties!

Culinary herbs, bee and butterfly gardens, raised bed gardens, balcony gardens, "square foot" gardening, using patios and greenhouses, combining a food-producing garden successfully with raising chickens in the same space (I especially loved this one), growing figs in Canada, keeping wildlife critters out of your crops, growing from your grocery store leftovers, growing your own fruits and using wall space for espaliered fruit trees, wildlife and children-friendly gardens and growing heirloom varieties and saving your own seeds are all covered in detail, and so very much more. 

Whether you want to try growing Asian vegetables, recreate a World War Two "Dig For victory!" garden, make magical gardens to encourage children to learn to grow food, recycle metal, wood and blocks to make raised beds, make a drought-resistant garden, use your rooftop, grow food for Italian cuisine, terrace a hillside, devote your whole garden to garlic or create an edible hedge,  this is the book you need.

Absorbing, comprehensive, delightfully illustrated, the only problem I now have is deciding which plan to try out first from this wonderful book......

Share with friends using the share button below.

4 comments:

Owen Lundy said...

I think of all the reviews I've read this is the one I'm most likely to buy (apart from the GF vegan pizzas...) Even folk lucky enough to have been raised by gardening parents can be foxed when their type of garden changes and my dad only grew tomatoes anyway :) My next garden is going to produce lots of our veggies, encourage bees, be happy place for birds and pretty for the neighbours to look at so I need all the help I can get! Hope there's lots of advice on containers for those of us past our digging best.

margaret said...

I think of all the reviews I've read this is the one I'm most likely to buy (apart from the GF vegan pizzas...) Even folk lucky enough to have been raised by gardening parents can be foxed when their type of garden changes and my dad only grew tomatoes anyway My next garden is going to produce lots of our veggies, encourage bees, be happy place for birds and pretty for the neighbours to look at so I need all the help I can get!

Wendy said...

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Kate Mossy said...

This books looks great - I just love all the ideas and inspiration.