Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Simply Delicious Amish Cooking

Simply Delicious Amish Cooking

Recipes and stories from the Amish of Sarasota, Florida

By Sherry Gore

Published by Zondervan, May 2013

I was sent a digital copy of this book to review, and I loved it so much that I bought a hard copy of the book for my cookbook collection! 

This is no simple cookbook. It has succinct yet thorough explanations of Plain doctrine, traditions and lifestyle, both  Mennonite and Amish, and the book is interspersed with nice black and white illustrations of Amish life in the Pinecraft community of Sarasota, Florida. There are extracts from the newspapers giving historical tidbits and contemporary information about the community's history and inhabitants, and blocks of lovely colour photos of the finished recipes.

I really like the clever and immensely practical design; the book is spiral bound so it will lie flat when in use, but has a wrap around cover so that when on a shelf, it has a printed spine. The recipes themselves are comprehensive, covering everything from bread rolls to desserts and drinks, with occasional jaw-dropping surprises such as recipes calling for alligator meat! 

The Gingerbread Waffles sound amazing and are definitely on my "To Cook" list, along with Grilled Lime Fish Fillets, Chocolate Covered Caramels with Sea Salt, Hummingbird Cake and many, many others, though I don't think I will be cooking alligator any time soon - not many alligators in the UK :-)




Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: