Sunday, August 11, 2013

Just Keep Swimming.....

 I have been remiss in not blogging about something - apart from reading, of course - which has occupied a fair amount of my time over the last eighteen days!

DD4 went on an activity/adventure holiday with her school at the very end of the summer term and absolutely loved it., even the bit where they went kayaking in the sea under very close supervision. Considering she does not like particularly like being in swimming pools or doing anything other than paddling in the sea, we were heartened by this show of interest and decided to strike while the interest remained keen, signing her up for one-to-one swimming lessons at the pool in BlogTown. To our delight and hers, she has suddenly taken to swimming like the proverbial duck to water and has made remarkable progress in the six lessons so far. She has one final lesson in this "block" on Friday next, and can now do front crawl, back crawl and breaststroke.

Two weeks ago, the Hubster and I decided that she would get more benefit from the lessons if she was actually swimming much more often than once a week, so some investigation revealed that instead of paying £4 each for an hour swimming session, we could purchase a weekly pass for £12 each which would entitle us to make as many one hour visits a day or week as we wished. Obviously much better value, so I purchased two weekly passes so I could take her to the pool about fifteen minutes walk away from our house.

I had a bad experience during a school swimming lesson when I very nearly drowned, which gave me a fear of any water deeper than my own waist, and my own swimming has always been limited to a few assays at breaststroke then a gradual sinking to the bottom of the pool, so I  really did have to gird up my loins to take Munchkin into the vast expanse of water.........

Her new-found confidence and knowledge has rubbed off on me, and she has taught me how to float effectively on my back;  eventually the busy nature of the main part of the pool inspired us to go to the sectioned-off area for "real swimmers" who wish to do lengths of the 25 m pool. I wondered if I could do it too, and from struggling to complete  two lengths in the course of an hour, I have gradually improved to the point where I have managed 33 lengths of the pool in one hour, which is the equivalent of half a mile, at the end of last week. She and I have great fun swimming and are at the pool at least five days out of every seven at the moment.

I am very, very slow at swimming and can only manage a  highly modified front crawl due to limited movement in my shoulders and elbows, but I am swimming and feel so much better in terms of health and fitness. I have not lost an ounce of weight, but do actually have something approximating muscles rather than flab.....

Munchkin  can easily outswim me, and even if she gives me a head start of almost half a length, she can still beat me to the  end of the pool!  She will be having regular compulsory swimming lessons when she starts at the local Comprehensive School in September, but as I know from my own bitter experience, these do not make much difference to anyone  who is not already actually able to swim reasonably well. Hopefully Munchkin will be in a position to benefit from these school lessons now, which she would not have done if she had not had the one-to-one lessons. They were not cheap, but have definitely been worth every penny.

Once the girls are back in school and our normal busy routine  recommences, I hope to be able to continue swimming as often as possible because it is making such a positive impact on my mobility and general health. Finding time for that swim session is going to be well worth it, even in the grim winter months when my joints normally seize up and my muscles ache constantly :-)
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

a blessing this is! so glad for the swimming time...