Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Year - Round Slow Cooker


Year - Round Slow Cooker:

100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season

By Dina Cheney

Published by Taunton Press, January 2013



First of all, I love the division of recipes into seasons, which makes using fresh produce so much simpler and cheaper. It is an attractive book, well illustrated and laid out, and a great deal of thought has gone into the design and structure of the recipes.

It is not a young family-friendly cookbook unless you have epicurean children (I do not!); it is aimed at sophisticated palates, those willing to try unusual or exotic flavours and I think it would actually be perfect for a busy cook who loves to entertain friends for meals. There are plenty of traditional recipes and lots of exotic ones from different countries and cultures, though perhaps it was not terribly tactful to place a recipe for pork shoulder roast immediately after a recipe for Cholent......

As usual, the puddings are always my primary concern: Sticky toffee pudding with cranberries sounds wonderful, and I am keen to try Winter holiday pudding with citrus, Pineapple and mango cobbler with coconut biscuits and  Lemony strawberry-rhubarb cobbler.

If you like to cook unusual dishes or are catering for older teenage/adult family members or guests, this may be a great book for you try out.


Share with friends using the share button below.

3 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Puddings are your primary concern? I love puddings! And I would like to use my slow cooker much more than I do....I should find out if my library has this book - the puddings and cobblers you mention sound very appealing!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Gretchen Joanna, I do have another slow cooker cookbook to review in due course in September, so watch this blog :-)

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh goody!