Sunday, June 09, 2013

Margam Castle



Margam Castle has some superb architecture. The initials M and T appear scattered in stonework and decor, referring to the Mansel and Talbot families.













The skyline is dramatic.





Even the chimney pots are decorative......

















 Stained glass in one entrance hall.


And intricate ceilings.













Filming for the series "Da Vinci's Demons" continues inside the castle, and we were able to peep into the sets......






Like this one, meant to be a baronial-type hall.
















A detail of the left hand side of the fireplace.















One of the wall-hangings scattered around the set.















The juxtaposition of faux-old sets, and modern film lighting was amusing.

.











I was not convinced at what they had done by adding greenery to the grand staircase.......



















I did like seeing St Barbara placed in centre glory at the top of the stairs!



 



The staircase is truly magnificent, though quite tricky to photograph due to the light flooding in from the lantern windows.














I wanted an atmospheric black and white shot.....

















Sigh.
I love this ceiling!





And the other side of the staircase. You could spend all day taking pictures......









Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

Walter Trachim said...

Very impressive!

A number of years ago I toured Edinburgh Castle and to this day I haven't forgotten - also impressive and imposing. That whole "Old Town" atmosphere, in fact, was worth the trip. I'd go back in a minute if I could.

Walter Trachim said...

Very impressive!

A number of years ago I toured Edinburgh Castle and to this day I haven't forgotten - also impressive and imposing. That whole "Old Town" atmosphere, in fact, was worth the trip. I'd go back in a minute if I could.