Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lynnwood


Lynnwood

By Thomas Brown

To be published by Sparkling Books Ltd in June 2013

E-book ISBN: 9781907230424



I have never regarded myself as a delicate reader, and I will happily read just about any genre. When I saw the publisher's synopsis on Net Galley, I decided this is a book which I would find enjoyable.
After all, who could resist this?

"Who wouldn’t want to live in an idyllic village in the English countryside like Lynnwood? With its charming pub, old dairy, friendly vicar, gurgling brooks, and  its old paths with memories of simpler times.

But behind the conventional appearance of Lynnwood’s villagers, only two sorts of people crawl out of the woodwork: those who hunt and those who are prey. Visitors are watched by an entity between the trees where the Dark Ages have endured to the twenty-first century. Families who have lived behind stone walls and twitching curtains know that the gusts of wind blowing through the nearby alluring Forest bring with them a stench of delightful hunger only Lynnwood can appease."

 I was right.

This is indeed a wonderfully eerie, atmospheric book, which I have to own, managed to unsettle and spook me so much that I simply could not read past the first 100 pages, even though I was enjoying it and made several attempts. It was deliciously scary, and left me unable to sleep, which happens very rarely. 

I'm not sure whether to congratulate the author on his skill or castigate him for making it so haunting that I simply could not continue reading it :-)




Share with friends using the share button below.

7 comments:

Thomas Brown said...

Hello Elizabeth,

Thomas Brown here. Just a quick comment to say thank you for taking the time to read what you could of my book, and for writing your review. It certainly seems to have scared you. Don't castigate me! All the best.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Thomas, it is a beautifully crafted book and you are to be congratulated for that! I am sure you will have many, many readers who are made of sterner stuff than I :-)

Once the initial terror has worn off, I will certainly steel myself to read it again because I do very much want to find out what happens in the end.....

Michelle M. said...

I love reading books like this... once in a while :) I always have to plan to read them cover to cover in one night.

Thomas Brown said...

Hello Michelle, do keep an eye out for the book!

Elizabeth, thank you for your responses, I really appreciate them. Would you mind sharing this review on the book's Waterstones listing, when you have five minutes spare? I would be very grateful. If not, don't worry. All the best!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Thomas, I have just finished adding the review to the Waterstones website.
I hope the book sells really well!

Thomas Brown said...

Thank you for your support!

Thomas Brown said...

Hello Elizabeth,

Just a quick message to properly thank you for reviewing my book earlier in the year. Lynnwood was successfully launched in June and I couldn't have got it off the ground without reviews such as yours filling me with confidence. We launched the book at my local Waterstones, and I had the best day of my life, so thank you for helping in your own way to make that possible! Tom