Friday, June 08, 2012

Scarves And Suchlike

It was a delight and a blessing to be able to go to Church for the Pentecost Liturgy.

 I had packed the cool-box with the food I had prepared, prayed for a safe journey and The Hubster was loading up the car. I was about to leave the house and lock the front door when I had the truly overwhelming urge to go back and pick up my new, brightly-coloured long scarf which is really wide, and wear it knotted round my neck. I listened to that inner prompting, having felt increasingly drawn to covering my hair for private prayer at home.

When I got to Church door, I could see that  two of the four ladies already there were also wearing headcoverings, so it was a five second task to listen to the call of my heart, lift up one fold of my scarf and cover my own head too as I walked in through the door.   This is a parish which does not normally expect or have women covering their heads in Church, but I have been thinking about doing it for a long time and didn't want to draw attention to myself by being the first one, or to make anyone else feel uncomfortable by my actions....

It made such a difference to wear a covering during the service, though I cannot put into words exactly why,  and I do not think I would willingly attend the Liturgy again with my hair uncovered. I am still pondering and processing exactly how I felt, but deeply attentive and respectful spring most readily to mind........
Share with friends using the share button below.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

I understand this... sending love accross the miles!

Ian Climacus said...

Pentecost is a blessed time; I am glad you were able to attend, and I am joyful for you that you were able to gain much for the service by your decision to wear a headscarf. I -- being a man -- do not have or even wish to express a point of view, but I did notice back in my parish in Sydney a move towards them, if only for some before receiving Communion. If it helps in your worship, it can only be a good thing and a blessing.

Anonymous said...

I have been a headcover wearer for years now, at church and at home for prayers. I can't imagine going without it, now. I'm with you.

Oma Jo