Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Book Review - The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club



The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club
by Wanda Brunstetter
Published by Barbour Books, April 3rd, 2012 in the US.

It's not easy to know how start reviewing this delightful and highly original Amish themed book !

The story revolves around a whole group of people, every one of whom is essential to the unfolding of the story. We start by meeting an Amish widow named Emma Yoder.  Emma has decided to offer quilting lessons to anyone interested in learning the skill., but when she sees her frst group arrive for the class which is going to be held weekly at her own home, she is rather taken aback at how disparate a group they are, and she wonders if she will be able to manage to teach them quilting skills. She didn't expect a tough hairy biker dude, a pastor's wife,  an unhappy couple who are trying to salvage their dissolving marriage, a young aspiring songwriter grieving the loss of her grandmother and who is unhappy and isolated, and a widowed Hispanic man with a young baby all to be in her very first group........

I found it very easy to relate to everyone of the characters and quickly became utterly absorbed in their lives and problems, So many of their character traits I recognised in myself, which made me stop and take stock of myself for some valuable soul-searching  devotional time. None of the characters are perfect, far from it, and Emma Yoder  learns as much from her English students as they do from her gentle wisdom and simple yet profound Christian living as well as her skilful quilting tuition..

The plotline is very original, and frequently twists and turns. Just when you think you might guess what happens next, another event supervenes and everything changes again. I certainly did not predict the events of the latter part of the book, and really enjoyed the way it played out to the end. I have read my digital review copy no fewer than four times, and thoroughly enjoyed it every single time. I really do hope we get to meet some of these people again in a future book.

Thank you, Wanda, for a truly delightful and enjoyable story :-)

Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I think when you're all well, you should come visit me and we'll go up into Amish country!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Laura,
I would truly love that ! God grant one day we will be able to meet !
During my recent illness, I have found Amish fiction to be perfect and very spiritually comforting easy reading, and a constant reminder to prayer. For me, these books have been a blessing :-)