Friday, January 13, 2012

Words

Updated to add:

Thank you all so much for your prayers and loving thoughts.
 I am lucky if Mum manages to say a dozen words a day to me now.........it is very hard to bear. I keep thinking of things I wish I had said when she was truly able to understand and respond to me........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Words are powerful things.

They can be innocuous, enthralling, damaging, inspiring, disheartening, soul-destroying, frightening, comforting, joyful, sad, healing...... the list goes on to infinity.

Once uttered, words can hurt people, and even if the words are retracted and an apology is made, the hurt lingers and can fester for years.

Conversely, if powerful and encouraging words are used, their effects can work wonders for the rest of someone's life.........

All too often, we only perceive what an amazing gift and blessing speech is when it is no longer possible to utter any words at all.

My mother has been saying fewer and fewer words each day, and she is obviously struggling to find words to express her thoughts and feelings, so much so that she is disengaging from the world and from all of us just a little more each day. She seems to find it almost as difficult to comprehend speech as her illness progresses slowly but inexorably.

Lord have mercy.......
Share with friends using the share button below.

6 comments:

Mimi said...

oh my dear. I am so sorry. Love, prayers, hugs. I am tearing up.

Michelle M. said...

Lord have mercy. That is beautiful written. Prayers for you and your mother.

debd said...

This must be such a hard time for you, my friend. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

elizabeth said...

this is hard. Hugs and saying a prayer for you and your beloved Mom...

Babushka Joanna said...

Hugs...I have walked this slow descent into the valley with my grandparents. I love you, and I'm here for you.

Babushka Jo

margaret said...

Yes... I did the same thing with my Dad, I watched him get worse without saying so much of what I should have. You are both always in my prayers.