Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Wonder Of Your Love


The Wonder Of Your Love by Beth Wiseman
Published by Thomas Nelson.

I really wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book by Beth Wiseman.  I'm not a fan of modern romances, though I must admit to enjoying Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer,  and I simply couldn't imagine what an Amish romance was going to be like. 

Instead, my trepidation turned into delight as  I found myself being drawn into a beautifully told story with wonderful touches of humour and fun. Almost a comedy of manners, in fact, where the protagonists are Katie Ann, an Amish widow with a young baby and  Eli, an Amish widower who has just seen his last child grow up and marry. Both expecting to remain single for the rest of their lives,  they are faced with a bevy of well-meaning Amish and non-Amish friends who are intent on matchmaking.

Add to the story a mystery over why Katie Ann's wayward and unfaithful late husband had bought a new house - was it for his long-suffering wife or for his mistress? - and Katie's delightful Englisch friend Martha, who has a tangled love-life of her own, and you have all the things needed for a thoroughly enjoyable book.
I  loved every page of it, and was desperately willing the story to end happily, so well and so engagingly were the characters drawn.
Well done, Beth Wiseman - this book is a keeper !

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this ebook as part of the Booksneeze program.
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

Athanasia said...

It's helpful to read your reviewbecause this is not the typical type of book I would choose to read, primarily for fear it would be a cheesy "Christian" love story. Thanks for this!

How did you getinto doing book reviews? That sounds like fun. Did you pursue them, or did they pursue you?

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Athanasia,
I've just finished reading it again becasue I liked it so much :-)

Thomas Nelson were actively recruiting for book bloggers a while ago, and I signed up then. You can ask ofr hard copy or ebooks, and they do still seem to be recruiting..... check out http://booksneeze.com/