Monday, January 23, 2012

Photo Day 23




Photo Day 23 - Something Old

One of my oldest books is this lovely Latin/French  prayer book, bound in leather and tooled with gold.





When it arrived, I was thrilled to find that the seller had kindly left in these beautiful lacy paper holy cards; it is nice to think of a previous owner using these as bookmarks for favourite parts
of the prayer book.











The earliest date on the table of moveable Feasts is 1822 but the inscription on the flyleaf is dated 1851. Either way, it is the oldest book in my possession.
Share with friends using the share button below.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Beautiful!
After my grandmother died, I received her mother's missal, and it is filled with holy cards and funeral notices. Even though I don't follow the Latin Rite, I still treasure it.

Sarah in Indiana said...

I love old books and finding ephemera tucked inside them. The prayer cards are lovely--what an unexpected bonus! Funny that your ”something old” is titled ”New Church Book.”

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

It makes me laugh every time I pick up the book, Sarah !

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I love old things, Mimi, especially when they belong to family members...... We have a lovely green bead rosary which belonged to my great-grandfather, who carried it with him in his uniform pocket every day when he was fighting in the trenches in World War One.