Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Corned Beef Pie Recipe

.... especially for Michael The Hungry :-)


450 g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
one half teaspoon salt
Mix these together

Add 120g diced butter ( or of margarine,  or half lard /half margarine)
When combined, add up to 120 ml cold water to make a ball of pastry. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in fridge.

For the filling:
1 large onion, roughly chopped - or more if you really like onions
About 750g potatoes - it depends on the size of your pie dish............ I like lots of  potatoes.
dice and boil with the onion in lightly salted water.
When cooked, mash them roughly , then add the diced contents of a 340 g tin corned beef and mix well

Divide pastry in two, roll out and line an ovenproof pie dish. Add the filling mix, cover with pastry lid, pierce in several places for steam to escape, and brush with a beaten egg.

Bake in the centre of a Gas mark 4 / 180 C oven for approx 30 mins till golden brown.

Enjoy !
Share with friends using the share button below.

3 comments:

margaret said...

My house-guest is very enthusiastic about this!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

It's a firm favourite in our house. I forgot to mention that the addition of freshly-ground black pepper to the filling is a must!!

margaret said...

I haven't made it yet. Due to most of my cooking experience being in a convent or a retreat house I'm incapable of cooking for two and always make far too much so we have three days of leftovers before we can have something new. I think it will be Thursday night's dinner and I will post photos!