Saturday, November 19, 2011

Waving

I am still alive, honestly !
Real life has been both very hectic and very difficult for the last month, and I have been struggling to cope or to  motivate myself to do anything more than the absolute essentials.

Mum - well, she continues to get worse, day by day. It is heartbreaking to sit with her, heartbreaking to hear her struggle to have a meaningful conversation. She has started to develop some pressure areas as she has now been bedbound since August. Fortunately the lovely district nurses quickly arranged for her to have an electric air-flow mattress fitted onto her hospital-type bed, which seems to be making a big difference to the pressure areas and providing Mum with much more comfort.

Last week, Mum manage to wedge her arm through the cot-side bars fitted to the bed at some point during the night; her carers arrived just before I did , disentangled her and showed me the very marked areas of bruising which resulted. I contacted the GP and the district nurse, who came up, dressed the wound and immediately ordered padded cot sides to attach to the cot-side rails to prevent that happening again.

My Mum's favourite cousin, my Uncle Bob, passed away unexpectedly in his sleep last week. It was a blessing in some ways as he had  a peaceful end in his own home with no pain, despite his cancer. Breaking that news to Mum was dreadful, and she was absolutely distraught.........
Bob's body will be received into the local Anglican church on Sunday afternoon, in readiness for the funeral service on Monday afternoon and I will be going to both services.
On Friday I attended the funeral of one of the oldest members of our Latin class, Meinwen. She was a bubbly, outgoing, feisty, fiercely independent and extremely intelligent lady, who will be very greatly missed by her friends as well as her loving family. Her funeral was held in a local Welsh-speaking chapel, and was one of the most spiritually profound and nourishing funerals which I have ever attended outside an Orthodox church. It was a privilege to be there.
Memory eternal.....

DH  has been given notice that his job contract will definitely be ending at the end of December this year, which is causing much stress.

On a happier note, DD2 has bought a darling little pug puppy named Bertie. He is coming down to visit us today - and DD2 and RobRob will be visiting too, of course - so hopefully I will have photos to post over the weekend !

My act of escapism from Real Life at the moment is the fact that I am taking part in NaNoWriMo for the third year running. The widget on the blog page which says 2011 is actually reflecting the current word count for this year; I just haven't got round to changing it yet , LOL.

Although I haven't been blogging much, be assured that you are all very much in my thoughts and prayers, and I thank God daily for the privilege and blessing of knowing you !

I will try to blog a bit more regularly from now on, even if it is only a few lines at a time.......
Share with friends using the share button below.

7 comments:

Laura said...

You have had quite the week!! You are in my prayers for all of the above!!

elizabeth said...

Wow, sounds like some hard things going on here. Hugs and lighting a candle for you...

Janelle thegeekywife said...

Memory Eternal.

It sounds like your mum is receiving good care.

Good work on your novel. I'm such a slacker that I haven't really been working on it.

Babushka Joanna said...

Hugs about your Mama. I know what you are going through. I am always here for you.

DebD said...

Please don't feel the pressure to blog during such a stressful time. Hugs and many prayers. I'll light a candle for you and your mum at church this morning.

mamajuliana said...

Hugs and prayers here, too.

Michelle M. said...

I'm sorry your mother has been going through a rough time recently. We pray for her in our morning prayers. May her cousin's memory be eternal.