Sunday, October 23, 2011

Recently Read

Yes, I know, it is way overdue :-)



I love all the books written by Lady Winifred Fortescue; living in Provence between the wars, she depicts a different world to our own. Not always idyllic, but delightful books nevertheless.




The Don Camillo books are real comfort reads for me. Thoughtful, delightful and always funny with an undercurrent of  great depth.




Having borrowed this from the Library, I was pleased to get a hardback copy of my own from the Thrift shop for 50p :-)




Last Man Down was a very interesting account of one firegighter's experience of 9/11, but it smacked a little too much of the author blowing his own trumpet for my tastes. I have the utmost respect for  all firefighters and would be pleased to buy this guy a drink, but I wouldn't want to spend the evening in his company.......







Body Trauma is essential reading for anyone writing a story which involves injuries, accidents or Emergency Care.  Gruesome and gripping in equal measure. Be warned !




I really enjoyed Holiday SOS. It was a last minute "Quick, grab a book to read and check it out before the Library shuts" decision, and was really absorbing reading. The author is a doctor who medi-vacs injured or ill people from all over the world back to the UK, on behalf of medical insurance companies. It was a side of medicine I had never encountered, and it was really interesting.





All David Crystal's books are good, but this one really captured my imagination. He traces the development of the English language from its very earliest times, and it is a large, closely-printed and  scholarly tome. I enjoyed every single page but found that I could only manage five or six pages a day before it felt as if my brain would explode with all the information; consequently it has taken me months to read, but it was well worth it !





I had some vague recollection of having read an article about the restoration of the gardens at Heligan, in Cornwall, many years ago, and was so pleased to pick up this signed copy at - you guessed it - my favourite Thrift shop ! I didn't realise that the author, who was the deus ex machina behind restoring Heligan is also the same person who conceived and brought to fruition the amazing Eden Project !





Laughable Latin is exactly what it says, a great miscellany of useful phrases translated into Latin. After all, doesn't everyone need to be able to say "I'd like to order twenty peacocks for my banquet tomorrow and one hundred snails gorged on milk?"  - Viginti pavones et centum limaces satiatas lacte pro convivio cras reservare cupio ?





The Whitby Witches series are marketed as children's books, but quite frankly are wasted on anything less than a teenager. Scary, creepy and so sad, they have been perennial favourites in our family for the last fifteen years,  and I do hope they all come back into print soon.





This was an audio book from the Library, which I took out in great anticipation. I have read  five of the Falco books and enjoyed them all, but despite repeated attempts, I could not stick this book beyond Disc two, and  returned it to the Library. The story lacked coherence as an audio book, but I will give it a try in hardcopy form in the future.



This was a charity shop find, but the illustrations weren't brilliantly reproduced and it could have been such a good book if they had......lots of really useful information.





I borrowed this from the Library, and gave up after a hundred pages. it bored me to tears, which was a shame as I love Woman's Hour on Radio 4 !

Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: