Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Hamster Chronicles, Part The Second

Saturday evening:

I have had a satisfactory day. I have explored my cage and all its facilities, re-arranging things to my complete satisfaction and am now plotting world domination resting quietly, or so my unsuspecting humans believe. I have had a huge amount of fuss, praise and attention showered upon me, particularly by my owner's  older sister, who looks at me with a slightly wistful air. I think she may be fertile ground for my next subliminal whispering campaign.........

Sunday morning:

09.00

There is a great deal of activity going on downstairs. I do so hope my humans don't think that this is acceptable behaviour for a Sunday morning; I have had a busy night playing on my hamster wheel and gnawing on my see-saw and I do need my rest.

09.30
There have been many conversations going on amongst the humans; it transpires that my hard work last night has paid dividends. The slightly older child has expressed an interest in having a hamster too, and the male parental unit has been having a long discussion with the female parental unit. I have had my back legs crossed, which did raise a curious glance from my owner, who was concerned that I hadn't yet worked out where I was to "do my business".  Sigh. I could do with a partner in crime, not a widdle, thank you very much......

10.00
Patient negotiations and promises of good behaviour have been successfully completed, I overheard one of the humans say that they will be going to the pet store when it opens at 11.00am in order to get new suction pads for my water bottle and also get the other child a hamster of her very own. I cannot believe how easy this has been......even the female parental unit has been saying how cute I am, and wondering why didn't they get hamsters before. She too may be a willing convert to The Cause one day !

10.55
The house is quiet. The humans must be just about arriving at the pet store now, waiting for it to open. I do hope they are able to sort out my water bottle suction pads, as the water dish they have given me, though satisfactory, does tend to end up with bits of my sawdust bedding floating in it, which is not much fun to drink.......

12 midday.
I hear the noise of a key in the front door lock, and some excited voices. There is someone saying something about "a wretched creature trying to eat her way out of the carrying box."
What on earth is going on ?



Ah. All is revealed. The female parental unit and the biggest child are holding a box which appears to have unnaturally large air holes  in it..... and now another rodent is emerging. There are shouts of  "Open up the new cage before she escapes!"





and they only just manage to get the box in the cage before my fellow hamster emerges. There has been some collateral damage......



...my fellow hamster has foolishly and rashly bitten the hand that will be feeding her, which is never, ever a Good Thing to do.



This is Margo, the bloodthirsty vampire hamster with whom I shall have to share the house and the humans. Do not be deceived by the sweet innocence she shows in the picture below..... she is a fearsome warrior indeed.





The moment her cage grille is lifted, she is ready for action and attempting to escape. I presume this is for world domination purposes, as we seem to have the whole household under our spell - apart from the female parental unit, who uttered some very uncouth words after Margo had bitten her.


P.S. They did sort out my water bottle. All is well in my little hamstery universe!!
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

From the Hermitage said...

Rodentia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!