Thursday, September 15, 2011

Catching My Breath

This week has been whistle-stop. Mind, most of my weeks feel whistle-stop at the moment. As I said to one dear friend this morning, I feel very much like a feather bobbing up and down in a veritable Tsunami wave.....


The girls have been busy in school, and at work respectively,  and I have been much occupied in dealing with Mum's affairs and looking after Mum herself.

Things have been considerably easier on an emotional level, as Mum really has been like her old self from way before my brother was ill - laughing, joking, teasing the carers, taking a real interest in what's going on around her, rather than being a very unhappy automaton in a bed. She seems to be able to cope much better without the supplemental oxygen on all the time now, but there again, she is now totally bedbound and moving little, so her activity levels require little oxygen, I suppose.


Then I look at her, with her knees being the widest part of her legs, having no control over her eliminatory functions and looking so much like a little doll dressed in outsize clothes, and then the harsh reality strikes home hard, that this is possibly only a very temporary lull before her condition deteriorates further.

 But we are determined to make the most of it and enjoy it while it lasts ! We have got her watching a portable DVD player, and she has enjoyed The King and I, as well as listening to various music CDs. She has asked me to order her the new Doris Day CD, and she is looking forward to receiving that one in due course.

Today, DH celebrates his birthday - Many Years, my dearest one!

It is also the year's mind for Les, the reposed husband of my very dear friend Laura; those of you on Facebook will likely recognise her in her persona as Babushka Laura. Please keep Laura, her family and Les in your prayers. On Monday will be the second jahrzeit for my dear brother Mark, an anniversary which has come round unbelievably quickly. He would have broken his heart to see Mum so frail and weak.....
Share with friends using the share button below.

6 comments:

Athanasia said...

Elizabeth, you are so gracious in all that you must manage in life. May God bless you! Peace to your Mum and a gentle hug.

margaret said...

Oh, yes, Elizabeth, make the most of it. I know I didn't with the times Dad was himself in the hospice - I insanely thought it was permanent improvement even though it was a hospice, I don't know - enjoy every moment you can with her being herself.

margaret said...

Sometimes even awful things work for the best. As far as Mark not seeing mum like this goes it is a blessing even though a mother should never live longer than her child. I am so glad I got cancer /after/ my father died. I can't bear the thought of him knowing I had what killed my mother. Good and bad are so interwoven here it's hard to make sense of it all.

Mimi said...

I think that calm is a gift, and I'm so very glad you are taking advantage of it.
Would you send me a PM with her first name, although I know God knows who "Elizabeth's mom" is.
Love
Many years to your Dh!

elizabeth said...

love to you my dear friend.... remembering you.

debd said...

I agree with the others...enjoy this calm and happy time with your mum.