Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Funny Thing Happened Last Week

DD3 is a keen member of her school's Junior Choir, and she recently took part in a school concert. As a proud and supportive mother, I went to watch her and her fellow pupils showcasing their quite remarkable musical abilities, anticipating a thoroughly enjoyable evening's musical entertainment.

I should have known better. Before I left the house, somebody had obviously attached to my person a magnet for strange things to happen......

I was able to get a good seat, three rows from the front, and settled myself in. Just before the performance started, an elderly couple came and sat next to me, the husband closest to me and his wife on the end of the row.
Several pieces new to me  opened the performance, notably Piazzolla' s Libertango which was delightful, and then came the turn of DD3's Choir. DD3 did really well in her solo lines, and it was all going swimmingly well. There were also several vocal soloists and a wind trio and harp solo to enjoy.

Then came a piece of such sublime beauty, wonderfully played by a young female cellist, that it was breathtaking.  
(This is a Youtube clip of the piece, played by Dariusz Skoraczewski for your delectation)


Part way through, I became aware of movement on my left. The elderly gentleman was tapping out the tune, noisily, on his rather portly stomach. It was more than a little distracting.

Then I became aware that not only was he removing his shoes, he managed, very agilely, to lift his left foot onto his lap and was tapping his toes with his hand, then playing with his socks.  As I said, my magnet for attracting weird events/people was obviously on Full......

I shall never be able to hear that piece by Ravel ever again without it raising a wry smile. But at least the man's feet didn't smell, and for that I am profoundly grateful :-)
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Athanasia said...

I hate when things like that happen to me. I never know whether I should move from where I am sitting or not. But at least you got some amusing memories.

Glad, also, that DD3 did so well.