Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recently Read



Bluestockings  (Jane Robinson, pub 2009 by Viking) was a delightful and engrossing read about the first woman to storm the bastions of English Universities and fight for the right to get a degree. Fascinating, heartbreaking and quite frighteningwhere it describes the intense pressures put upon so many young women at that period.



Charity shop finds !  I love Star Trek , and another Andy McNab book is always welcome.



A second "new" Andy McNab is even more welcome...... and words fail me when it comes to Robin Jarvis' The Whitby Witches. First in a trilogy, and marketed for young teenage readers, I still find it riveting and terrifying, even though I must have read it at least twenty times in the last fifteen years. St Hilda plays a starring role in this tale of good versus evil. It makes the Harry Potter series seem tame by comparison.

Doom Hamster much preferred his Deptford Mice series, but I could never get into that series at all; it always interests me how greatly tastes can differ within a family of a voracious readers :-)


Two more charity shop finds; I am slowly collecting the whole Falco series by Lindsey Davies.



The Catholic Martyrs of Wales by T.P.Ellis, pub by Burns & Oates in 1933 was kindly obtained for me by the local library from the main Reserve stock.  One of the Catholic priest-martyrs was captured only a very few miles away from my home, and I wanted to read more about that very troubled period of history.


The Jane Austen Book Club is something I have been meaning to read for ages and never got round to buying it. It was also always out on loan at the Library, so when I saw it at my favourite thrift shop, I leapt at it. I am so glad I did :-)

An Intelligent Person's Guide to Judaism is a scholarly, insightful and thoughtful read. Of particular interest is the chapter on anti-semitism, its developement and possible causes.


DH bought this book. I have read it but not yet cooked anything from it; full reports when I do get round to making something, I promise !





Germania is another library book, by Simon Winder, pub 2010 by Picador. 
 It is his own idiosyncratic view of  German history and describes his own visits to Germany.  He obviously loves the country but  by his own admission speaks virtually no German, which I would find a considerable impediment to travelling extensively in a country.....
There are occasional flashes of brilliance, especially his descriptions of Bamberg and one section entitled "More competitive tomb-building", but on the whole I found it quite tedious. I certainly wouldn't bother buying it even from the charity shop.

Also read (on my e-reader):
Laurie King's magnificent O Jerusalem, Justice Hall, The Game and Locked Rooms.  I devoured them all with the utmost enjoyment and strongly recommend them.
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

DebD said...

you liked the Jane Austen Book Club? I've been meaning to read that for ages as well. Glad to hear it was worth it for you.

Mimi said...

I just want to follow you and read your books :)