Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Carol Concerts and Conversations

Last night was DD4's  school carol concert. Unfortunately, DH had to work away and could not be there, so I was charged with taking photographs and filming, which made the time go much faster.  As I am getting older, I find that it seems really "weird" going to these concerts when it is still only Advent, and spiritually I  am only preparing for Christmas, not celebrating it yet :-) 

We put up our own Christmas tree last weekend, and the Nativity set has pride of place on the table. DH was busy eating when he noticed that something seemed amiss. "One of the figures is missing from the Nativity set!" he informed me anxiously, me having been in charge of overseeing the children doing the decorating. His important role is that of extracting all the said decorations from the inaccessible attic space in the first place, by the way.....

"I know!" I replied calmly. "It's quite safe."

"Why isn't it with all the others?"

"Because Baby Jesus  hasn't been born yet! He doesn't go in the crib till dusk (and therefore time for Vespers) on Christmas Eve." I explained. As I do every single year when we put up the Crib.

DH just looked at me and laughed. "You always do everything by the rule book, don't you?" he said affectionately.

I just grinned.........
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

lovely! this is good to do... Thank God that Christ comes to us...

margaret said...

Makes sense to me. I used to have this discussion with my Anglican priest every Christmas too. He still talks about it as if it was somehow strange, "Let me tell you a story, every Advent Margaret used to say to me..." *sigh*