Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Winter Is Coming!

We woke up this morning to a literally howling gale, uncannily reminiscent of something you would imagine from Wuthering Heights......... the temperature is hovering just above freezing, and the intermittent showers are threatening to turn to sleet. In North Wales, they have had snow.

It was not pleasant walking DD4 to school this orning, and I had to exert iron self-control when I got home - I just wanted to take my coat off and hibernate in the warm, but the dog needed  a walk, so I gritted my teeth, rummaged in the hall till I found my warm woolly hat, and took the dog out. He thoroughly enjoyed the walk, and then I was able to reward myself with a cup of tea, with a clear conscience :-)

I don't mind the cold at all, providing I am well wrapped up, but rain + cold + chill high winds is a grim combination. Many of the trees have shed the last of their pretty autumn leaves now, and things are starting to look cold and grey as the days shorten dramatically..........
Share with friends using the share button below.

5 comments:

Athanasia said...

My thoughts exactly! I am glad for the exercise of walking the dog and generally enjoy it, but when it is wet and blustery I'd rather not - and sometimes I think she would rather not too!

Enjoy the cuppa!

Michelle M. said...

I love how you described the weather like that of Wuthering Heights. I can picture exactly what you mean. I don't mind the cold either, but I am sure that is doesn't get as cold here as it does where you live. But I do miss my East coast winters- i love the snow.

margaret said...

I loved the crisp, dry, blue-skied cold when I was in Colorado. British winter is altogether another matter! I am a wuss in British cold. A while back someone asked me if I had considered monasteries in the US and I hadn't but there are some OCA nuns at Lake George, Colorado... do you think, "Dear Mother, I hate Scottish winters so can I come and try my vocation with you?" would work? ;) :p

Meg said...

Sometimes I think of November as the beginning of the restful period, when all of nature hibernates along with the bears. Time for steaming hotpots and soups and stews, for knitting woolly Christmas gifts and stocking up on reading material. No noisy roustabouts on the streets, and once the snow falls, there will be a different kind of beauty, serene and austere, but beauty nonetheless.

Blizzards are NOT welcome. ;-)

Laura said...

THe time for hibernation is near (if not here!)>