Thursday, September 23, 2010

Recently Read

 This was an utterly brilliant crime/thriller book. I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone, but it was really well written. I am now in search of earlier books by this mother/daughter writing team......



The history of a prominent British Jewish family, and an insight into growing up Jewish.
 I was particularly interested in the mention of  Hugh Montefiore, who at a young age converted to Christianity and rose to become a Bishop in the Anglican church; I have a book of his on order and am waiting for it to be delivered. Many of the extended family have published books in a wide variety of genres over the years.



Stalker is one of my favourites in this series, as we get to see how Lt Decker's daughter Cindy is coming to terms with life in the police force and begins to understand some of the pressures her father was under when she was growing up. Cindy inadvertently stumbles upon police involvement in a dodgy property deal  and finds that someone is out to frighten - and ultimately silence- her.

The second book has a great storyline but a rather terse writing style, which took me quite a long time to sink into and enjoy. I did, and am looking for others in this series now.




I ask you, how could I possibly leave this treasure to languish in a thrift shop ?  I couldn't and brought it home to devour and enjoy.




A discount chain bookshop near our town was having a clearance sale,  and I ended up bringing home two bags of books.  The Terry Pratchett Discwrld quiz book is fiendishly difficult.... and I ended up getting the small Bible for half of the lowest marked price, even if it is the New Revised Standard Version.



I was so looking forward to reading both of these; one old, one new.

I did mostly enjoy reading Dave Gorman's attempt to travel across America by car without eating or staying at a chain restaurants or motels, and without patronising any of the large chains of gas filling stations. He didn't succeed but had a jolly good attempt.
 I was just mumbling to DH that I was going to but a copy of the book after I returned this one to the library, when I read  the chapter about a Mom & Pop store where the owner had  a stand which offered an impromptu FreeCycvle service to the local community.
All well and good till the author sees, at the checkout, a sign supporting a two day boycott against Walmart which he then proceeds to mock and ridicule for several different reasons, including being glad he could tick that he had discovered "right-wing Christian bigotry" in his journey. 
Instead of castigating the woman in his book, why didn't he actually talk to her at the time and ask why she was supporting the boycott for only two days and not permanently, what her motivation was, etc, rather than just dismissing it out of hand because she didn't approve of the alleged promotion of homosexuality by Walmart  and was therefore beyond the pale of decent human standards by his viewpoint ?

The new Terry Pratchett book continues the story of Tiffany Aching, now aged 16 . It is a black and bleak book, dealing with death, domestic abuse, early teenage pregancy, attempted suicide and blighted hopes of love. The plot was  inappropriate for the intended young teenage audience, IMO, and rather lost steam towards the end. I think that Sir Terry's Alzheimer's is now really starting to affect his writing, though I sincerely hope I am wrong and that the next book will be better........
Share with friends using the share button below.

4 comments:

margaret said...

I always thought Hugh Montefiori had the most beautiful name. He wasn't conversation material in the part of North London I grew up in though ;)

DebD said...

wow, that is a lot of books.

About Dave Gorman; let's see...he can come to America and decide not to buy anything from the big chain stores for his own reasons, but the store owner is ridiculed for doing the same thing because he finds the reason offensive? nice.

I shouldn't think he made it across anyway because I don't think there are that many gas stations that aren't part of the large chains. Otherwise it might be possible.

Meg said...

I haven't read the Rabbi series in years (Harry Kemelman), but enjoyed it immensely. I think there were only 8 books in it; the first seven featured the days of the week, and the eighth was called, "Someday the Rabbi Will Leave." I never did read that -- couldn't bear to see the series end.

Athanasia said...

I would like to dive into Pratchett's series to see whether I'd like them or not.

I love Faye Kellerman's books.

My kindle is nice but I like that the library lets me read all I want without costing me a penny. I think I need a trip there soon.