Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Boy Who Changed The World


The Boy Who Changed The World
by Andy Andrews
Published by Thomas Nelson




I was initially inspired to request this book by the illustrations as much as by the author and the subject matter, and when the book arrived, I was definitely not disappointed ! My children and I absolutely loved the truly wonderful attractive pictures, which complement each page of thoughtful text.

The basic premise is very simple; each person’s actions, no matter how trivial, will have an impact on other people and their lives, in an enormous chain which Andy Andrews calls “The Butterfly Effect”. Even the actions of children are important, and this delightful book focuses on the lives and actions of four people.

Even though my children and I were unfamiliar with the lives of the people mentioned, they really enjoyed the stories, although my 8 year old did get a little confused initially with the technique of reverse sequencing in the narrative. My 12 year old thought the book was superb, and as well as relishing the story, she really enjoyed noticing and picking out the different techniques used to provide emphasis to certain points in the storyline: spacing, font type and sizing, repetition of key words and phrases etc as well as identifying key themes.


This is definitely a book we will read again and again as a family.




Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze  book review bloggers program.
I was not required to write a positive review.
The opinions I have expressed are my own.
Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: